Amanda: “At the CareerCenter, I am somebody."

When Amanda Wilbur was laid off in October, she arrived to the Bangor CareerCenter feeling lost.

“I had never been laid off before. If I had left a job in the past, it was by choice.”

On her first visit to the CareerCenter, she met with a CareerCenter consultant. And so began a new journey of education, a few more road bumps and a long-lasting mentorship.

Amanda was having a difficult time finding work, so she decided to take this opportunity to finally get her degree.

Her CareerCenter consultant helped her get in touch with a program called the Maine Educational Opportunity Center that gave her the encouragement and confidence to go back to school. She was also able to receive unemployment while attending school through dislocated worker benefits.

Besides the unemployment benefits, Amanda paid for school by herself through student loans. Part way through school, she received the notice that her benefits were going to run out.

“I was upset. I didn’t want to give up. I was almost in tears and I went to see my [CareerCenter consultant], who cheered me up. He is my moral support and someone I think of as family.”

Through determination, and the CareerCenter's support, Amanda was able to gain back the support she needed. And her first semester she received a 3.3 GPA.

Right now, Amanda is attending the University of Maine at Augusta. Once her general education requirements are complete, she hopes to transfer to Husson University.

Amanda finds herself sending her fellow college students to the CareerCenter to get help. She thinks she would like to be a social worker.

“I want to help people. I’ve been talking to my [CareerCenter consultant] about it and he thinks I would be great at it. He encourages me.”

Amanda said her CareerCenter consultant always makes himself available. 

“Always having that person there for you when you need it is great. When times are tough or if I need someone to bounce ideas off of, I can go to him.”

Amanda has the CareerCenter to thank for where she is today.

“I have been doubtful and stressed as a 36-year-old single mom. But the CareerCenter knows me. When I walk in there I am always smiling and they are always helpful no matter what the problem is,” said Amanda. “At the CareerCenter, I am somebody."