Victoria: Retraining after 35 Years as a Medical Assistant

Reflecting on her life, Victoria Henderson says it’s the journey that has mattered.

“It has certainly been a trip getting here, and I am very glad that this is where I landed.”

After 35 years working as a medical assistant, Henderson suddenly found herself without a job in January 2010. Not being able to find a replacement job, she went to the Portland CareerCenter for help.

The staff helped Victoria apply to a re-training program called the Competitive Skills Scholarship Program. She was accepted to a two-year program at Southern Maine Community College for Electrical Engineering Technology

In order to support her success, CSSP helped her with tuition and fees. Victoria said the program also helped her with car maintenance expenses so she could get to classes, fixed her broken computer and paid for her eye exam and reading glasses.

“Without these financial helps, I would not have been able to go to school,” she said.

In 2012, Victoria graduated from the Electrical Engineering Technology program and was named SMCC’s Student of the Year

“This was indeed a great honor, but I have to give much credit for this to the folks at the CareerCenter who provided guidance and encouragement through this time,” she said.

The CareerCenter even helped Victoria continue her electrical engineering technology training at the University of Maine’s Technology Management program the next semester.

“Besides the encouragement and guidance that the CareerCenter has given me, it has been a major factor in my being able to do this training without having to work a full-time job,” she said. “The financial aid gave me the opportunity to devote my energies to my studies.”

Victoria graduated in May and received USM’s Department of Technology Outstanding Student Award for 2014.

She is now looking for a job in her newly trained field by again using the CareerCenter.

“Coming into this new career training, I did not know what I was capable of,” said Victoria.

All she needed was a little help from the CareerCenter to find out who she was and what she could do. And now she has confidence when applying for jobs.

“Now if I have any self-doubt about a job I might like to apply for, I will just need to buck up and remind myself that I have gotten this far, I know a lot more than I did four years ago, and I will certainly know more than a year from now than I do now. The only failure is failing to try.”