Deb: “The CareerCenter helped me know I was not alone”

Deb Dallago was offered a job last week. She is thrilled, and has the CareerCenter to thank.

Deb was on unemployment for seven months, and the whole time the CareerCenter was there for her with amazing staff and resources, she said.

She first met her CareerCenter consultant at a workshop in Saco.

“I was impressed with his honesty, stories and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel,” said Deb. “He made our group feel valued and we were not alone.”

Deb said connection with the staff as well as the resources she gained from the CareerCenter was what helped her get a job.

She said at the CareerCenter workshops, staff explained all of the resources and services and spent a lot of time with her sharing ideas and helping to fix her resume.

Deb also attended the Job Fair Workshop, which provided her with a list of the companies so she so she was able to research and make notes ahead of time. At the job fair, with over 80 companies looking to hire, Deb had the confidence to seek out the company she wanted to work for.

“I met with the human resources manager from one of the companies I was extra excited to meet and introduced myself,” said Deb. “And because of that first contact was offered an interview. I accepted a position as an administrative assistant.”

Deb said the most challenging thing she went through during the process of finding a new job was not giving up and settling on just any job.

“I am close to 60 years old and just did not want to settle at this time in my life. I needed to stay positive and remind myself that when one door closes another one opens. I AM a great candidate and plan on staying at the job I accept.

“It took seven months but this position has every single bullet point I had written down for my dream job. It’s really never too late to follow our dreams.”

After being out of work for so long, the CareerCenter gave Deb the confidence and the inspiration to find the job she knew she deserved.

“As great as the staff was, I hope to never need you again.”